Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

My Promised Thousand Sons

Discussion not related to the 40k datafiles, or anything else in particular.

My Promised Thousand Sons

#1  Postby Rayne » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:40 am

Alrighty peoples! Its about time for me to plan my Thousand Sons, now that my IG are assembled and in the middle of being painted (and waiting for a baneblade or two). I want to hear your ideas about the new Chaos Dex comming out, and Ideas for a Thousand Sons themed (read as: Tzeenchian, but not purely Thousand Sons, but modeled as such) army, using the pretty confirmed rules for the new Chaos dex. I just put in my orders for Thousand Sons models today, because its cheaper to buy the old box set than it is to buy the bits seperate.

So far, the plans are....

- Havocs. Lots of them. Fill with heavy bolters for Anti-Infantry.
- Sorcerers will be able to take out Armor perfectly fine, so i wont need a whole lot of heavy AP guns.
- Two Chaos Daemon Princes, fully pimped. Ive heard a rumor from my game store, that Lords/Princes are no longer 0-1, and just count as a Lord HQ choice, so two Princes will just reek havoc on the field.
- At least one squad of Terminators. Also heard in my game store that the new Terminators are freaking whorish.
- I want a defiler. Your not taking him from me. Ever.

Questionable things....
- Greater daemon.... Should i even bother? Like, at all?
- Lesser daemons.... Nice points per model filler, but are they useful enough as squad tie-ups to bother?
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#2  Postby Wraithlord » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:18 am

My list will look somewhat like this:

Chaos Term Lord
Daemon Prince
Generic Greater Daemon
Tzeentch Terms
3 or 4 Thousand Sons units
Tzeentch Bikers
Land Raider
Predator

And maybe Havocs, Oblits or a Defiler, not sure yet.
Thousand Sons: kicking ass like never before
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#3  Postby Rayne » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:12 pm

Is the generic Greater Daemon no longer an HQ choice? If so, then i dont see why im not taking one either. XD

With the new defiler stats, you would be stupid to not take one... Its no longer Monstrous, but it has two DCCWs, AND it has fleet of foot.... On first turn, your travelling up to 18" across the board, not including assault move, and on the charge you have an extra D3 attacks, to make it a max of 7 S10 power weapon hits.

IMHO, Land Raiders have never been effective, points-wise. They are fairly easy to pop with the standard heavy weapons, its expensive, and even tho its heavily armored, its usually the first thing to die on the field, just because its big. Not deadly, just big. They are more expensive than Monoliths, and Monoliths are freaking hard to kill, and extremely destructive. Just makes me feel that the Land Raider isnt worth it. Id rather have 250 points worth of termies.

Predators are nice, but again, is armor really worth it if everyone fields high Str/AP weapons just to try to insta-kill things anyways? Granted, Reaper Autocannon and HBolter sponsons do really good for supressive fire, which i guess would be its purpose.

Im not so sure about Tzeentch bikes... For flanking manuvers, or just for fast moving firepower? I could see that a sorcerer on a bike would be really sick.... Id rather have Raptors instead. Hit and Run, bitches. :D
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#4  Postby Wraithlord » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Rayne wrote:Is the generic Greater Daemon no longer an HQ choice? If so, then i dont see why im not taking one either. XD

With the new defiler stats, you would be stupid to not take one... Its no longer Monstrous, but it has two DCCWs, AND it has fleet of foot.... On first turn, your travelling up to 18" across the board, not including assault move, and on the charge you have an extra D3 attacks, to make it a max of 7 S10 power weapon hits.

IMHO, Land Raiders have never been effective, points-wise. They are fairly easy to pop with the standard heavy weapons, its expensive, and even tho its heavily armored, its usually the first thing to die on the field, just because its big. Not deadly, just big. They are more expensive than Monoliths, and Monoliths are freaking hard to kill, and extremely destructive. Just makes me feel that the Land Raider isnt worth it. Id rather have 250 points worth of termies.

Predators are nice, but again, is armor really worth it if everyone fields high Str/AP weapons just to try to insta-kill things anyways? Granted, Reaper Autocannon and HBolter sponsons do really good for supressive fire, which i guess would be its purpose.

Im not so sure about Tzeentch bikes... For flanking manuvers, or just for fast moving firepower? I could see that a sorcerer on a bike would be really sick.... Id rather have Raptors instead. Hit and Run, bitches. :D

Few things to keep in mind:

Greater Daemons don't use a FOC slot

Land Raiders are getting cheaper

Raptors will not longer have Hit and Run

The Defiler however may be a good way to go, especially if it gets a price reduction but I don't think that is the case. I will have to test it out. As far as bikes go, I just like them and finally being able to mark them with Tzeentch makes my day. I plan on having them mounted on Screamers being led with chains :D

The main strength of the army will still be in the Tson troops though, especially vs MEQ's.
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#5  Postby Rayne » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:56 pm

Lol.... Tzeentch marines on Screamers "counting as" bikes. Thats funny. XD

And how much cheaper is cheaper, when it comes to the Land Raiders? I seriously cant see a decent reason to field one. At all... unless they are less than 200 points. Especially concidering you cant move and fire since everything except for the hull Hbolters are S9. Now, if it were a Crusader... Oh yeah, id be all over that.

No hit and run on raptors?! Whyyyyy?!!!!! :( *pouts* Oh well, i'll find something for fast attack.

As for the Greater Daemon, if ive got enough points to spend, then i will use one, but as it stands, with my Tsons, Termies, two Lords, Havocs, and Defiler, i think i might be running too close to 2000 points as it is... I'll see when the dex comes out, or gets leaked. :P
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#6  Postby Wraithlord » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:53 pm

From what I understand the LR will be 225 now. Not tremendously cheaper but a bit. I have seen people using LR's to great effect many times and you have to admit it is a great bloody delivery vehicle. My Berzerkers might actually reach CC intact for a change.
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#7  Postby Rayne » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Cant you just summon Berserkers right on top of your enemie, and then they get pulled in right next to the icon bearer? :P
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#8  Postby Wraithlord » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:32 am

That is Bloodletters. Berzerkers are World Eater Chaos Space Marines. Getting them across the table mostly unharmed, especially when they frenzy, is damn near impossible. Roughly along the same lines as getting Genestealers across.
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#9  Postby Rayne » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:08 am

Meh. I get those two mixed up too often. Stupid Khornates...

Set up decent formations... Just a fodder squad just in front of the beserkers, so they have to make checks to hit them. Either way, if you use a decent CC fodder squad, it makes the enemy have to chose between them, and usually hits the fodder squad. I do it all the time with the Arco Flagellants and Sisters Repentia for my SoB.
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#10  Postby Chunky_Baby » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:05 pm

from reading this and my usual anti new chaos stance, it looks like both your armies will be basically the same as everyone elses, with just different colors on them and one or two units that will actually count.

I fear for what games will look like in a while when we all have updated "dexes...

Bascially:

"My generic plastic man (painted green) fires at your generic plastic man (painted blue) - I win"

:sad:
Chunky_Baby
Dire Avenger
Dire Avenger

#11  Postby harkan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:12 pm

hmmm Chunky, am tendng to agree with you there although the wargear options etc may make a diffrence .. but then again an army and the race is defined by more than the wargear but will wait and see how it all goes
harkan
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12  Postby Rayne » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:46 am

Thats because that GW decides to always do a rolling release of dex's. If they just got off thier asses and released ALL of them at the same time, everything would be balanced against each other. But no, they dont want to hold the codecies for as long as it takes to set everything equal.
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#13  Postby Chunky_Baby » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:37 pm

I agree with you both on rolling releases, but I think the biggest issue is that they are "dumbing" down the fluff related to the rules.

I worry that just like the Eldar - you will see armies that look all the same in terms of the miniatures, maybe with just different paint schemes. The biggest issue is that these armies are very difficult to beat with the older codex's - even Nid's were almost imposisble to win with against Eldar because of the "no restrictions" on units now.

Talk about Dire Avengers/Scatter Lasers... you'd think the Eldar were making a resurgency not dying out... :evil:

It seems cynical to me in order to sell more mini's basically.

What really concerns me for the future - is what happens to all these 12 yr olds with copies of the tournie lists, when they DO release the Craftworld and "God" books and find that half their mini's are now illeagal in that army?

A lot of pissed off kiddies is what...
Chunky_Baby
Dire Avenger
Dire Avenger

#14  Postby Rayne » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Well, it will be at least 3 years before they even finish deciding to do Craftworld or Specific Chaos God dex's, so those tourney lists will just pwn all, and by then, the rules will be needing a new spitshine to nerf the things people are complaining about now, and we will have 5th edition, just before the new dex's come out, and the whole problem starts anew.
Rayne
Sergeant
Sergeant

#15  Postby harkan » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:15 pm

bit of good news ... it is not as bad as we may have thought ... plus daemon codex comes out next year ... but things arent as bad as I feared with the new dex lol
harkan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Gaming Room