Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Generic Units

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

Generic Units

#1  Postby Thorfinn » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Love the Generic Unit feature. I tend to add a lot of non-codex units into my armies, particularly my Orks, so this is a very useful item for me that saves me having to go in and program the whole unit entry.

The only thing that would make this more useful is if there were checkboxes to assign values to the stats (WS, BS, S, etc.) similar to the ones provided for adjusting the points. Just an up/down clicker for each value would be awesome.

Thanks.
Thorfinn
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Generic Units

#2  Postby Engrimm » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Where is this generic unit? Wouldn't mind using it myself :)
Engrimm
Conscript
Conscript

#3  Postby Spack » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:43 am

You need to tick Generic Unit in the roster options. You'll then find it under the All Units tab in most armies - it's not in all of them though.

It's designed as a simple placeholder to allow a cost for a homebrew unit to be included in the list calculation. The single cost value is only ever added once, the model cost is added each time the + button is pressed. And the roster change option lets you set which type of unit it represents. If you right click it's name you can use Edit Name to give it a name.

If you right click and choose Configure Columns Shown you can change the columns so that it can represent a vehicle, or a building, or some other unit that isn't an infantry model. If you use the drop down at the lower right you can switch it between Roster View (the default) and Tanks (the layout used for vehicles in the rest of the files) with one click.

That's all it does, there's no other settings. When you print it out the roster it'll have no stats or info, you can write those in.
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4  Postby Engrimm » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Thanks a lot that's very helpful :)
Engrimm
Conscript
Conscript

#5  Postby Thorfinn » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks Spack. Appreciate the info.

However, changing the columns as you suggest adds or deletes columns on the whole list - unless I'm mistaken (I'm not an expert).

Being able to include the stats within AB would be optimal, as it allows those numbers to remain with the list. I know I often end up printing a list multiple times over time or making variant lists off a master of my entire collection. If the stats cannot be included as modifiable, could the boxes be left blank so that stats could be hand written? Currently, they print as 0's.

Could there perhaps be a Generic Model/Unit, and a Generic Vehicle/Building? It would make it easier/neater to fill in bits by hand.

Thanks again, and to all the guys(/girls) who put so much into this.
Thorfinn
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions