Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

How to get "show" option checkboxes into info text

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

How to get "show" option checkboxes into info text

#1  Postby tronage » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:28 pm

I am currently using AB 3.4c and AB40k 1.05
In the CSM army list, some units have checkboxes to "show" stuff. For example a Chaos Lord has a check-box to show chaos space marine traits, and the Obliterators have one to show obliterator weapons. Now when I do the printout, if I have the footnote text be a separate page it does infact "show" that info (although the obliterator weapons are just mixed in with everything else, it doesn't have its own heading like the warlord traits do). But I prefer my printouts using the "move footnotes to info text" option, this way I don't have to do any page flipping when I want to know what something is (since I'm still just getting back into this, I'm not "fast" yet with rules, items, weapons, etc).

In any case when I have this option checked, all the footnote info goes in-line with the units, except anything with show check-boxes like mentioned above. The warlord traits are not listed by the warlord, and the obliterator weapons are not listed by the obliterators. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a way to accomplish this so it would show "everything" inline with the info text?

Thanks for the help!
tronage
Cultist
Cultist

Re: How to get "show" option checkboxes into info text

#2  Postby tronage » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:43 pm

So without anyone offering any sort of answer, would this be considered a bug with the files? I don't want to add something to the bug tracker if it isn't a "bug" but it seems something is quite right, since the info shows in one location but not the other (where as everything else migrates fine to the info text). I'm open to anyone's thoughts.
Thanks.
tronage
Cultist
Cultist

#3  Postby Homer_S » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:18 am

I suspect this functionality of Army Builder. The "show" options are designated output only.

Homer
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4  Postby shaggai » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:09 am

The key to those "show" elements is a way for the files to add the necessary stats to the main file WITHOUT adding them to the unit in question. That is, imagine it as an option to add bolter stats to the footnote listing without the model having a bolter. Now what you are doing is reversing the entire priniple that the files have been designed with (mainly because no one else has asked, or wanted, to do what you are doing - point in case, the Competetion Output demand). That said instead of abstractly adding the data to the footnote lists you want to add it directly to the model, which if you imagine the Obliterator model, we would have to add all the weapons that their special rules simulate to the model. Which would then make it looks like the model in question has all those weapons...Let's not even try to think about what would need to happen to the warlord info.

So while I cannot support that it is a bug with AB, I can say that unless you can convince at least the other 580+ facebook supporters that we should redesign the files so your unit info can look nice, don't expect any changes for this edition.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5  Postby tronage » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:45 am

Hello,

[Removed rant, since it didn't add anything to the thread... I just wanted to clarify I wasn't saying it should be there, I was only asking if it was possible, if it was a bug, or if I was doing something wrong.]

In any-case thanks for answering my question, that this is not a bug, and working as intended. I already created my work around (and for those who may find this post for a similar question), all you have to do is make an army with a SINGLE unit in question, and have the footnotes on a separate page. Then you can print out just the footnote page, that you can label at the top what unit it is, and have a record of all the "show" information. And then just keep that sheet with your normal "full" army so you can reference it.
tronage
Cultist
Cultist

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions