Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Detachment How To

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

Detachment How To

#1  Postby Homer_S » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:29 pm

There will be a detailed how to for this since it is a relatively new mechanism. Here is a brief note:

1. Turn on Settings > Roster Construction Setting > Display Squad Names.
  2. In any order, add your detachment and desired units to the roster.
  3. Drag a unit name and not the squad name into the detachment until the cursor changes to ">>" and drop.
  4. The same movements can be used to rearrange the units within the detachment.
  5. Alternately, units can be dragged and dropped from the Available Units listing.

Homer
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Detachment How To

#2  Postby usmc961 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:31 pm

This process is going to be very hard to maintain. Every dataslate is it's own detachment (Strike Force Alpha, Officio Assassinorium, Inquisition, etc...) Soon just finding a detachment and trying to keep track will be rather hard. Will you guys ever go to a GUI system that allows for a drag and drop into detachments as selected (clicked on) instead of this list scroll?
usmc961
Recruit
Recruit

#3  Postby Homer_S » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:51 am

usmc961 wrote:This process is going to be very hard to maintain. Every dataslate is it's own detachment (Strike Force Alpha, Officio Assassinorium, Inquisition, etc...) Soon just finding a detachment and trying to keep track will be rather hard. Will you guys ever go to a GUI system that allows for a drag and drop into detachments as selected (clicked on) instead of this list scroll?

Which is why I fixed it by excluding anything that is unit type Formation. Since all non-unit dataslates are, wait for it, wait for it, formations; I have just excluded EVERY SINGLE FORMATION in the data files. While we are at it, I've added a tag to the logic "gnAcc.exemptDTCH" which any maintainer can add to custom detachments and the base rules no longer apply.

What do you mean "list scroll"?

Homer
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4  Postby usmc961 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:13 am

Homer_S wrote:
usmc961 wrote:This process is going to be very hard to maintain. Every dataslate is it's own detachment (Strike Force Alpha, Officio Assassinorium, Inquisition, etc...) Soon just finding a detachment and trying to keep track will be rather hard. Will you guys ever go to a GUI system that allows for a drag and drop into detachments as selected (clicked on) instead of this list scroll?

Which is why I fixed it by excluding anything that is unit type Formation. Since all non-unit dataslates are, wait for it, wait for it, formations; I have just excluded EVERY SINGLE FORMATION in the data files. While we are at it, I've added a tag to the logic "gnAcc.exemptDTCH" which any maintainer can add to custom detachments and the base rules no longer apply.

What do you mean "list scroll"?

Homer

Wow... Glad I responded at all. Thanks for the sarcasm and uncalled for response. I was just pointing out that it may be difficult to keep formations/dataslates/supplements/detachments all updated. Obviously in your wisdom you've already decided that your current methods are the best and that other users should not offer feedback. I guess I would have known if you had bothered to add that to your post but at least others won't make that mistake and we can be sure that GW won't be so crazy as to add another type of detachment. :wink:

As for list scroll, well currently (at least in the AB I'm using) we scroll through a list to find the appropriate unit, click it and then start adding specifics to that unit once added. I was inquiring whether a GUI interface such as what you find at the back of the newer 40k codex's is being considered. It isn't necessarily better but it is more user friendly.
usmc961
Recruit
Recruit

#5  Postby Tdub415 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:38 pm

I think you may be misinterpreting Homer's post. It didn't sound sarcastic/condescending to me at all when I read it; a bit lighthearted maybe; but he provided the answer to your concern that it's been set up to make it as easy on the maintainers as he could to add future detachments.

As far as an updated GUI, that would be something Lone Wolf would have to code into army builder, the maintainer team here only volunteers and keeps the data files updated for use with the program developed by Lone Wolf.
Tdub415
Recruit
Recruit

#6  Postby Homer_S » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:22 am

1) My sarcasm and humor meter goes to 11. Either I use it or go loopy. Please don't take it personally.

2) I love good ideas. The particular one you are proposing needs to be re-posted at the Lone Wolf forum since it would require a drastic change to the underlying Army Builder.

Homer
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions