Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

40k 6th Ed.

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

40k 6th Ed.

#1  Postby Yonush » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:28 am

Hello!

I've been a lurker here for quite some time now. I know the rules are that nothing will be released until at least 1 month has passed from the GW release date. I am NOT asking for a date, just wondering if there are plans to update AB to 6th edition. I have tried to manipulate the program myself and unfortunatly I am not skilled enough to figure it out.

So are the AB40K maintainers still willing/able to update to 6th Edition when policy allows?
Yonush
Recruit
Recruit

Re: 40k 6th Ed.

#2  Postby jlong05 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:48 am

Yes, we would be looking to updated for 6ed, but cannot give any indication on time frame until we have teh rules and have time to digest them onhow their impacts to the files will be. This may be 1 month, but remember that the 1 month limit is a minimum time, not a maximum time. A major revision of the rules generally takes a major amount of time and effort for updates.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#3  Postby Yonush » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:32 pm

Thank you for your time and effort Jlong and the rest of the Maintainers.
Yonush
Recruit
Recruit

#4  Postby andrewm9 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:35 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that for the most part the stats of your models are unlikely to change, so the list builder and points costs will still be good. The extras that our data file writers so kindly put in will be the harder part. If the stats do change that is the easiest part to update yourself. I will leave the hard stuff to the experts.
andrewm9
Conscript
Conscript

#5  Postby terminalmonky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 am

Hey guys I am a newb arou d here so if this is addressed elsewhere I apologize, but is there anything I can do to help with maintaining the release. I am not a newb to 40k or AB just want to get more active. Thanks.
terminalmonky
Recruit
Recruit

#6  Postby Homer_S » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:31 pm

terminalmonky wrote:Hey guys I am a newb arou d here so if this is addressed elsewhere I apologize, but is there anything I can do to help with maintaining the release. I am not a newb to 40k or AB just want to get more active. Thanks.

Biggest thing we need now will be people to help report bugs, I'm sure there will be tons!

Homer
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7  Postby redeath » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Someone in my gaming group started a rumor that GW took some sort of legal action against you guys preventing you from updating the data files to the 6th Ed and also barring you from creating files for any new codex's past the release of the 6th Ed.....from the posts here by jlong05 and Homer would indicate that you guys ARE indeed working on them and that he is full of $#!%. But can you make it official so I can quote it and set the record straight on our local boards.
redeath
Recruit
Recruit

#8  Postby Spack » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:29 pm

GW have not taken any legal action against us. They have requested that DataFileCentral, who host many of the AB files, remove them from their server which they have done. We are working on 6th edition changes, and will continue to work on new codexes for the forseeable future. Should this position change then an announcement will be made.

The official post from Lone Wolf, who make Army Builder, can be read here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=21779

Sounds as though the gaming in your gaming group misread the details.
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9  Postby Kundutei » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:56 am

I've been using AB for a long time now and just wanted to say thanks and tell you how much I appreciate all the time and effort you lovely people put intp the 40k files. Your work is the major reason that I still pay a sub for this program.

On a side note I have tinkered with the ABCreator quite a bit and wanted to offer my support with the 6th ed release. If there's anything I might be able to do to help - from testing to data file creation, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I am really grateful to the whole team for everything you do and I would love to be able to put something back into the communiity.
Kundutei
Recruit
Recruit

#10  Postby Arschbombe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:17 am

Got 1.00 tonight. The download errored out in AB. I had to come here and download the file directly. I could then import it without a problem.

I was so happy to be able build an allied list without having to switch back and forth between main and sub lists (forgetting points along the way), but I found a problem with the FOC validation that I submitted in the bug tracker.
Arschbombe
Recruit
Recruit

#11  Postby Homer_S » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Arschbombe wrote:Got 1.00 tonight. The download errored out in AB. I had to come here and download the file directly. I could then import it without a problem.

I was so happy to be able build an allied list without having to switch back and forth between main and sub lists (forgetting points along the way), but I found a problem with the FOC validation that I submitted in the bug tracker.

I suspect that is due to this issue. Make sure you add the alternate site as described here.

Homer
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12  Postby punchdub » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Hey guys, I made my own 6E version of the files based upon your awesome work for 5E, so that I could play my daemons. Just downloaded your release of 6E and noticed that there are quite a number of problems added (e.g. daemon SR not added automatically, missing Fear, no Flying MC, etc.) as well as none of the recent WD updates. Would it be helpful if I imported all my updates into your CD dat file (to make sure I use your USR naming conventions, etc. and sent you my file? If it would be helpful, I'd be more than happy to do it. If you've already got someone on the daemons, then I don't want to waste my time and will just keep using my own version of 6E until all the big kinks are worked out.

Thanks again,
Pete
punchdub
Recruit
Recruit

#13  Postby shaggai » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:02 pm

punchdub wrote:Hey guys, I made my own 6E version of the files based upon your awesome work for 5E, so that I could play my daemons. Just downloaded your release of 6E and noticed that there are quite a number of problems added (e.g. daemon SR not added automatically, missing Fear, no Flying MC, etc.) as well as none of the recent WD updates. Would it be helpful if I imported all my updates into your CD dat file (to make sure I use your USR naming conventions, etc. and sent you my file? If it would be helpful, I'd be more than happy to do it. If you've already got someone on the daemons, then I don't want to waste my time and will just keep using my own version of 6E until all the big kinks are worked out.

Thanks again,
Pete

This is up to Homer of whether he has done anything. Many of the preliminary updates needed to be done behind the scenes as it was a system update ratyher than a specific codex update. This meant that there were needs to either wait until global updates were finished or work on with what there was and hope that it didn't get hit. This may have already happened, but the one thing is that should be use you file, there is no telling if things have already been modified behind the scenes from under you. To check this, you could take everything from the basic datafile, put it into a "AB40k6_TEST" folder and overwrite the files that you worked on. Once at that point when the program tries to load you can see what in your file is not longer applicable, correct it to have an updated folder and the of course wait and see if Homer hasn't already started his work on the file...(note that last once means to pm Homer_S here on the website.)
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14  Postby shaggai » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Arschbombe wrote:Got 1.00 tonight. The download errored out in AB. I had to come here and download the file directly. I could then import it without a problem.

Apologize for this - hopefully this issue will get straightened out for the next iteration...and I mean this in regards to the download erroring out. This issue on the bug tracker will also be worked on, just may not be fixed as quick.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15  Postby punchdub » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:03 am

shaggai wrote:
punchdub wrote:Hey guys, I made my own 6E version of the files based upon your awesome work for 5E, so that I could play my daemons. Just downloaded your release of 6E and noticed that there are quite a number of problems added (e.g. daemon SR not added automatically, missing Fear, no Flying MC, etc.) as well as none of the recent WD updates. Would it be helpful if I imported all my updates into your CD dat file (to make sure I use your USR naming conventions, etc. and sent you my file? If it would be helpful, I'd be more than happy to do it. If you've already got someone on the daemons, then I don't want to waste my time and will just keep using my own version of 6E until all the big kinks are worked out.

Thanks again,
Pete

This is up to Homer of whether he has done anything. Many of the preliminary updates needed to be done behind the scenes as it was a system update ratyher than a specific codex update. This meant that there were needs to either wait until global updates were finished or work on with what there was and hope that it didn't get hit. This may have already happened, but the one thing is that should be use you file, there is no telling if things have already been modified behind the scenes from under you. To check this, you could take everything from the basic datafile, put it into a "AB40k6_TEST" folder and overwrite the files that you worked on. Once at that point when the program tries to load you can see what in your file is not longer applicable, correct it to have an updated folder and the of course wait and see if Homer hasn't already started his work on the file...(note that last once means to pm Homer_S here on the website.)

Yup, understand. I made the updates to your guys new version and sent it to him via PM.
punchdub
Recruit
Recruit

Next

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions