Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Competition Output: Unit Count Display

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

Competition Output: Unit Count Display

#1  Postby TheSailingLord » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Hey there!

While using the extremly useful competition output, one thing occured to me:

When choosing any Squad of Grey Knights or similar unit where the members are chosen induvidually, there remains a Squadnumer of 1, which is really confusing for an opponent not using the Army Builder.

Is there any chance to change this to "-" or "0" in a future release? I think it would improve overview and clearify the roster a lot.

Thanks!
-Seb
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
TheSailingLord
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Competition Output: Unit Count Display

#2  Postby shaggai » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:31 pm

The AB program needs to have the unit shown in that way, any other way doesn't work properly.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3  Postby TheSailingLord » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:43 pm

And there is no chance to leave it like it is in the roster construction itself but only to change in the output?
TheSailingLord
Recruit
Recruit

#4  Postby Homer_S » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:52 pm

In most cases, the number in front of the unit is not counted in the model count for the roster. If you notice specific instances, note them through the bug tracker.

Homer
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5  Postby TheSailingLord » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:06 pm

No it's not that the number of models is counted wrong, it's about the number being displayed, more an issue of of clarity and comprehensibility.

When you tell your opponent on a tournament (which, obviously is the most useful place to use an army builder roster) and he has never seen it before (which again, i do not understand at all...) and you start telling him how it works, that the first colum is the number of models with a specific equipment and so on and on, in 99% of all cases it happens that your is like *meh*.

I think to blank that out (only from the output/printout) would improve the use of army builder rosters in tournaments a lot.
TheSailingLord
Recruit
Recruit

#6  Postby shaggai » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Completely understand what you want in the program and I have already tried to do this. The one problem is that the program itself needs to see that the unit has a number. Without that number (say a unit count of zero following the Grey Knight Strike Squad) AB literally does not think it's there. So you end up with your unit described as normal, everythng counted right in terms of models, but the cost of the unit isn't counted at all. Very odd to see it happen, but it does (as I think Homer found out with the eldar once). Or to put it another way, it's like trying to tell someone you have an orange without actually having an orange for them to see; AB has got to see that orange or nothing else that you would want to do with orange will make sense to it.

This same thing also occurs when there are items [in resepects to the program] used to describe wargear (which is one reason why for the most part we have gotten away from them). Whenever you do find one of these you will note that the equipment/wargear is always followed by 1. That 1 cannot be replaced except by a bigger number which of course would mean more of that item. AB doesn't understand why you wouldn't want a minimum number of 1 so any attempt to try anything else doesn't work.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions