Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Logic Behind HG/VV/DC "unique" model format

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

Logic Behind HG/VV/DC "unique" model format

#1  Postby cedyeus » Thu May 06, 2010 7:10 am

So, I just uploaded the new army file, which I will first say you guys did an awesome job on!

I was initially thrown for a loop when I tried to insert the weapon loadout I wished on my death company.

Might I enquire behind the logic of going to individual entries for such entries as HG/VV/DC? Seems to me it would have been easier to keep the "X models, have 2X weapons, and you subtract from the base weapons to then add special ones.

Once again, thanks so much for all your hard work and effort you put into this labor of love.

Joe
cedyeus
Recruit
Recruit

#2  Postby Spack » Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 am

The reason for this is that these weapon options change the attack profile of the basic unit entry. If you have a model initially armed with say a pistol and a close combat weapon, then the attacks stat would be 1/2 (base 1 attack, 2 in combat due to bonus from having two single handed weapons). If you replace one of these weapons with say a power fist, then the attacks will no longer be 1/2 it will just be 1 (you only get the attack bonus if you have two power fists in this case).

So rather than having a long list of weapons on a single unit and them all showing as 1/2 for attacks it was decided that the power fist armed model should be split out from the rest of the unit. If you want a lot of identically armed models then you can simply highlight this line and use the + and - buttons to change the model count.

It also adds a lot more flexibility than was available before - for instance, if you have a squad of 5 marines with a mix of 2 bolt pistols, 1 flamer, 2 close combat weapons, and 1 power fist. In the old style entry there was nothing to show how each model was armed, in this new format it's now possible to set the options for each model independently if required and so the printed list now accurately represents the models themselves.
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3  Postby Homer_S » Thu May 06, 2010 12:47 pm

I like it for Wolf Guard squads. You can have a line of identically armed "Sgts" to put in various squads (maybe Plasma Pistol and Power Fist), a line of Termi guys (maybe all TH/SS or a mix with 2xWC) to go with a Rune Priest or other HQ and separate Termi Heavy Weapons models to go with your Long Fangs. Only takes up 3 or 4 lines and you know exactly who has what.

Homer
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions