Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Space Marines - Entering units from Black Reach box set?

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

Space Marines - Entering units from Black Reach box set?

#1  Postby ksignorini » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:06 am

I'm trying to enter the Space Marine Task Force that comes in the box set Assault on Black Reach and I'm not sure how to get a Vet. Sergeant on the Tactical Squad and a Terminator squad without any Sergeant.

It seems that when I try to enter the Tactical Squad it comes with a Sergeant and not a Vet. Sergeant and the Terminator Squad always comes with a Sergeant that I can't delete.

What am I doing wrong?

(p.s. While I'm at it, and please forgive that I don't really know Space Marines very well yet, but when I choose the Tactical Squad it gets listed as "Tactical Squad" and not "Space Marines" which is really the model it's made up of, isn't it?)

Thanks!
ksignorini
Recruit
Recruit

#2  Postby DthShdw » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:57 pm

Black Reach was put together utilizing 4th Edition Space Marines Codex, as a result it still uses some of the 4th Edition terminology. A Terminator squad in the 5th Edition Space Marines Codex always has a sergeant, as does a Tactical Squad (and they don't bother with the 'veteran' part of the title, it's implied in the fact they are leading the squad). It's the reason why one of the Terminators in the Black Reach set is outfitted with a powersword instead of a powerfist.

If you look closely at the profiles in the AB10k files, and the Black Reach quick play booklet you'll noticed subtle differences in stats for some units, and even differences in the point cost values for various units. It's mostly (if not completely) due to the fact that Black Reach was handled before the 5th Edition Space Marines Codex came out. Basically, laugh at GW for releasing a new edition of the core rules, and then updating the SMC a scant month or two later.

DthShdw
DthShdw
Recruit
Recruit

#3  Postby ksignorini » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm

So if I load the 4.0 ruleset will I be able to build this army as-is in Army Builder? You know, for the sake of argument...
ksignorini
Recruit
Recruit

#4  Postby Spack » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:18 pm

I don't think the AB files include the AoBR units - they are only intended as an intro using the AoBR scenario, they are not for general use in 40k games.
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5  Postby ksignorini » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:01 am

That's interesting. That's not what the GW store guys said when they sold them to us. They said that if we split the boxes, we'll have a good starting 1000pt army each to play in the store on Thursday nights.

Thoughts?
ksignorini
Recruit
Recruit

#6  Postby Spack » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:41 am

They're right, you do have a good starting army with the models from the set (well, by combining 2 boxes you will). But that's not the same as the non-codex, intro list that you get with the boxed game which is only using models from one box and is only supposed to be an introduction to the rules - that has little to do with the Space Marine codex, which you'll realise once you read it through and see what the options are.

You won't find the AoBR "army" lists in the AB files simply because they're in the AoBR intro book anyway, and that's the only time you'll use them.
Dan
AB40k Site Admin/Beta Tester
Age of Strife Owner/Admin: http://www.ageofstrife.com
Gaming Figures Partner/Admin: http://www.gamingfigures.com
Spack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions