Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Codex: Necrons rumours

Advance news or just a rumour, post them here for all to see.

Codex: Necrons rumours

#1  Postby Wraithlord » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:42 pm

From Warseer:

Hi there,

My new manager at my local store has just come back from Head Office with a big smile on his face and a sackful of confirmed rumours. He has confirmed that Codex: Necrons IS being re-done. My reply was that of 'BUT THEY'RE STILL QUITE NEW!'. He explained that the new codex is a tweaking of the current one to make it fit in with the Warhammer 40,000 rules, instead of having their own set of rules. This makes me think of all sorts of things that could be changed; some strengthening them, some hindering them. He refused to tell me when, so it may be a while

The one thing he DID confirm that is in the new codex is that Necrons will no longer have the 'We'll be back' rule. Instead they will have 'Feel no pain'. This will make them stronger in many cases (esp in combat) and will dispense with the 'getting back up' phase after every shooting and combat phase.
Thousand Sons: kicking ass like never before
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#2  Postby Ghaz » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:28 pm

And from the man on Warseer who would know:

I know Necrons are being redone but not for quite some time late 2008 / 2009 at the earliest IMO.

As for discussion of potential rules It's a little early.

Lets not get this into another wish list discussion please.
"A commander must have the courage to see his plan through, for good or ill.
Wars are won or lost when the battle-lines are drawn."

-The Tactica Imperium-
Ghaz
Maintainer
Maintainer

#3  Postby Wraithlord » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Bingo. Course, that post wasn't there when I copied the first one :D
Thousand Sons: kicking ass like never before
Wraithlord
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

#4  Postby Lemmings » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:49 am

Meh, I sort of like their goofy rules...
Lemmings
Cultist
Cultist

#5  Postby jlong05 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:33 pm

Having played them, I am familiar enough that the rules to me didn't seem goofy, however, given the updates in the 4ed version I can see the benefit of bringing the Necrons into the fold of standard rules. Not to mention, the Feel No Pain rule is very close to the WBB rule anyway. I think it offers a second save versus the reroll, but the benefit to necron players is that the rolls are immediate instead of waiting. So if you make the second save you still have guys to use in the HtH phase which is good.

I would however hate to see the Gauss rule removed. I personally would like to see some tweaking on it. Seems a bit over balanced against vehicles and under balanced for figure wounds. IMHO at least.

Also I would like to have more variety to creating my battleforce. Similar to the Tyranids in that everything is a basic warrior that is then upraded to various tasks. That way its not so carbon copy and the opponent needs to actually look at what you have instead of just knowing he can ignore certain units and focus on others.

It would also be nice to add the commander ability to units by upgrading a necron to a leader dude. This would be great for adding depth and versatility.

Finally, I dislike the built in penalty for necrons playing Combat Patrol and other sub 500pt games. Necron figures cost alot and under that size shoudl not be effected by Phase out. It should be assumed they are always part of a larger force.

And along with this, the campaign play shoudl be augmented to allow necrons to gain experience. Even computers can learn, why can't advanced robots build by Gods?

Just my thoughts. I know its a LONG way off.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#6  Postby harkan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:59 pm

had a game on saturday using the necrons n seeing the board covered in swarms of metal mayhem has just made me itch to do a necron army now!!
harkan
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7  Postby Chunky_Baby » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:25 am

IMO, I think the "Feel no pain" rule would benefit them.... however - in that case, why not bring it BACK for World Eater armies?

In other words - have the Chain Axe wielding "regular" nutters get it, and not just Asp. Champs like it used to be.

Anyway - I do think the Gauss is over powered against vehicles and under vs models too. And I hate having "cookie cutter" armies that everyone knows before play.

My pet peeve is over the total USELSSNESS of them in HtH too. Just my opinion - but you either go totally HtH (and inferior to most other armies) or exclude them totally.

If you include Immortals (best unit in the game IMHO) then it's shooty... pure and simple. I'd LOVE to hear otherwise - but everything I've tried has failed.

Also - Wraiths? Pointless when against a Guard squad, they wound maybe 3 models. then - you get maybe 1-2 wounds back that you don't pass. = Wraith squad that is completely outnumbered.

They either need Power Weapons or higher "numbers" in CC - like a Dreadnought. Or - failing that - a 2-6 total.

And I have everything that can be fielded... in multiple ways too.
Chunky_Baby
Dire Avenger
Dire Avenger

#8  Postby jlong05 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:00 am

Yes Yes Yes. The Wraith, while being the absoulte coolest unit in the game, is by far the most useless model in the game. You have to run them with a Wraith Wing of 3 full squads and a Destroyer Lord with an Orb to support. Considering thats nearly 600 points for only 10 figures means for an easly Phase Out victory.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#9  Postby Chunky_Baby » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:15 am

Totally...

Talk about pointless. The slowness of everything else makes it silly to do that too.

Oh look - we get deep striking Flayed ones... that have NO effect on most units (like marines) and sit with thumbs firmly up butt for a turn while you shoot the crap out of them...
Chunky_Baby
Dire Avenger
Dire Avenger

#10  Postby shaggai » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:34 am

As much as playing against them with my Sisters is like self-inflicted root canal I think there could be a few things changed.

1. I like the FNP vs. the WBB. Functionally it is similar and it prevents the need for the interactions with the rest of the game.

2. The gauss doesn't bother me all that much, but if you wanted to do something you might just increase the strength required to cause the glance - say only a GW of S5 or greater can glance a vehicle.

3. One thing that I would definitely do is to change how the Tomb Spider/spawned scarabs are treated. Numerous times I ignored them when there were no scarabs - but once they spawned, I unloaded on them to take advantage of the mixed armor and majority toughness rules to blast the spider into oblivion. Just make the spawn a separate squad which can only join other spawned scarabs or existing scarabs.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to 40K Rumors and News