Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Standardize Unique Wargear Options

Have a question on how to do something, why something is done the way it is or an idea to make the files or site better? Ask it here.

Standardize Unique Wargear Options

#1  Postby Akaiyou » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 am

Please let's have a consensus on these in army builder.

Currently the Chaos Space Marine AB data file allows me to take a chaos lord and equip him with Dimensional Key, The Murder Sword, Black Mace, Burning Brand in any combination.

Yet the Dark Angels and Space Marine AB data files force me to choose just 1 item.

The wording for all 3 codexes are identical when selecting these options.

I'm not sure if you are aware that the CSM are allowed to mix and match or not, but I just want some kind of 'standard' there's unlikely to be an FAQ for these unique wargear items. (CSM been out for a year and the issue hasn't been addressed)

Let's not play favorites please.

If we are putting this to a vote or taking suggestion I think the best compromise is to allow AB to let us equip 1 of these items that swap out a weapon + any items that do not require weapon swapping.

This means we should ALWAYS be able to take Shroud of Heroes with DA, and Armour of Indomitus with SM regardless of any other option we have equipped.
Akaiyou
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Re: Standardize Unique Wargear Options

#2  Postby gungagreg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:19 am

Agreed - for a couple reasons - standardization as you mentioned AND to make the army building function more flexible. If there is any lack of clarity in how to interpret rules, it would help to keep AB flexible so that until GW FAQs issues (if ever) at least players can experiment with different approaches.
gungagreg
Cultist
Cultist

#3  Postby Magpie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 am

I second the idea of keeping it open so that you can play it as you see fit.

The old Sgt options and chainsword debate would fall into this too.
Magpie
Conscript
Conscript

#4  Postby jboweruk » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Third it, it makes sense, keep it open rather than force us to somebody's interpretation of the rules as different players all have different interpretations anyway.
jboweruk
Fire Warrior
Fire Warrior

#5  Postby fenrick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:26 pm

My entire gaming group is using the current rule interpretation that you can exchange the free chainsword for melee or ranged wargear. This has made AB problematic for the SM players in the group and many are just not using it. I concur that the maintainers should provide open options in the files for situations like this; supporting more players and interpretations is ultimately better for the tool anyway.
fenrick
Conscript
Conscript

#6  Postby jboweruk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:05 pm

The thing is too, I can't see anything anywhere in the BRB or C:SM that says you can't swap out that chainsword. The only situation anywhere in any book is in the tyranids pertaining to Scything Talons where it does strictly forbid exchanging them a second time. So the other must be one of those 'assumed' rules that doesn't actually exist. Unless it's been FAQ'd and I've missed it.
jboweruk
Fire Warrior
Fire Warrior

#7  Postby gungagreg » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:38 am

What I love is how basically the AB "community" is being ignored here. I don't see anyone other than the maintainers that believe the way AB is set up is correct. Find me a significant forum or thread here or somewhere with some good visibility like Dakka, BoLS or 11th Company that thinks AB is interpreting the SM rules correctly in this regard. If they're trying to make Space Marine players stop using AB and stop participating in submitting bugs and helping critique the new rules, then they're doing a good job.
gungagreg
Cultist
Cultist

#8  Postby Akaiyou » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:32 am

we really should have more options in army list building not less.

I just recently allowed my friend to build up his black templar list on my AB because he has been using battlescribe and i gleefully said 'hey bro AB updated with SM codex build ur list on this it'll look better'

Then he got frustrated trying to figure out how to add lightning claw pair to a sword brother in a crusader squad and not being able to add armour of indomitus together with burning blade in relics.

In the end we decided to just continue using battlescribe for black templars.

While i see the benefit in following a strict raw interpretation for AB, I also feel that should be posted in big name forums and see what the popular opinion is on them. If an overwhelming number of the 40k fan base is voting 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 that the armour of indomitus should always be equippable or that a sergeant can trade in his bolter for a chainsword and then for a second special weapon then AB should allow us that flexibility. After all the people you spend your time building this data file for ARE typically the people participating in these online communities and exchanging lists and ideas.
Akaiyou
Slugga Boy
Slugga Boy

Return to Questions, Comments and Suggestions