Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Datafile name Map? (Which one is which)

Have a question about how to do something in the datafiles? Ask it here, we'll help if we can. NOTE: We cannot teach you how to use ABCREATE or how our files work, we don't have the time.

Datafile name Map? (Which one is which)

#1  Postby Mettius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm trying to understand how the various files in the AB40k package interact (and which one is which). My goal is to write up a datafile for the Bell of Lost Soul's Genestealer Cult mini-dex. I'm not having much luck figuring out how all the files which constitute AB40k relate to each other. :)

Is there a post or page which explains this at all (my searching hasn't found it)?

For example:
apAug.aug
apDat.dat

I see one is an augmentation file, the other a data file. what is "ap"

ig I'm guessing is Imperial Guard,
sm is Space Marines, etc. But some aren't so obvious.

Any light shed on the subject appreciated.

-Mettius
Mettius
Conscript
Conscript

#2  Postby jlong05 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:27 am

You may wish to delay this. The Maintainers are in the process on conversion for 5ed which will include an optional way of including new alternate lists such as the BoLS items. Just thought I might save you a bit of time here.

Watch the site for further updates and news reports on this version change.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05
Maintainer
Maintainer

#3  Postby Mettius » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:48 pm

jlong05 wrote:You may wish to delay this. The Maintainers are in the process on conversion for 5ed which will include an optional way of including new alternate lists such as the BoLS items. Just thought I might save you a bit of time here.

Watch the site for further updates and news reports on this version change.

Thanks for the tip. I can see the wisdom in that. I'll hang tight for a bit.

-Mettius
Mettius
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Datafile name Map? (Which one is which)

#4  Postby Mettius » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:54 pm

jlong05 wrote:The Maintainers are in the process on conversion for 5ed which will include an optional way of including new alternate lists such as the BoLS items.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but was this "optional way" done? Any details about it? How one would include alternate lists?
Mettius
Conscript
Conscript

#5  Postby shaggai » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Holy Thread Necromancy Batman!!!

When I did attempt it, they were added to the files as a "single race" which then subdidvided into the various BoLS lists. Of course when they were added to the files there were many "President Madagascar" breakdowns amongst the community and to keep the number of blown gaskets down to a minimum they were removed. Since the issues stemmed from the fact that non-official material was standing next to official material any attempt to allow them to co-habitate had to be thrown out.

I did sample with an attempt to take their army lists and make a separate BoLS armies listing so that they alone were in their own file. Both of these are probably lost (no pun intended) but perhaps one of the older 5th edition updates or the CVS may be holding onto to these - although they may not be of much use at they were prior to 3.2 and may not play nice with the new AB, not to mention that I'm not sure if the armies still exist on the BoLS website anymore.

The optional method was a plan, but essentially was impossible as AB cannot do it...

EDIT: Note that the optional plan was to have users "drop in" a folder into the main AB file and have it compile. The problem is that AB cannot compile a sub-folder like that, only files. and having the users drop-in single file and/or update single files lik this would have been a nightmare. Not to mention that the main files would still have some references to the optional files even if they would not be there, which would have been back to square one.
Age of Cash-mar - alienate you fan base and find a new way to squeeze money out of those poor souls!
shaggai
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6  Postby Mettius » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for the update. I've been attempting to not reinvent the wheel on another project. But I'll start a new thread for that and let the dead rest on this one. :lol:
Mettius
Conscript
Conscript

Return to Datafile Programming Support