Username:

Password:

Remember me

• Find Us On Facebook

Naming Conventions/Intent for Use?

Have a question about how to do something in the datafiles? Ask it here, we'll help if we can. NOTE: We cannot teach you how to use ABCREATE or how our files work, we don't have the time.

Naming Conventions/Intent for Use?

#1  Postby Mettius » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:38 pm

I found this thread:http://www.ab40k.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1569 to be very helpful.

Following up on that, I see what appear to be 40K Edition references as the Option Id for various options in for example the general7Dat.dat file.
A few questions to help those of us trying to mod/leverage the AB40K files (aka not reinvent the wheel).

gn6_ChSwdU vs gn6_ChSwd
- The difference appears to be that gn6_ChSwd has an Eval script whereas gn6_ChSwd does not. Does the "U" appendix designate unequipped or some such?
gn6_* does the "6" stand for 6th Ed rules?
- What is the significance of this designator? Does it mean the last time this option was edited or introduced was with that Edition of 40K?
- If so, I assume there is a reason not just to have a gn_ChSwd option which just gets updated if the 40K rules change it in a subsequent edition. My WAG is that this is so the maintainers can quickly see what Ed a given option was last written/updated for, but it would be helpful to know the true intent.
Mettius
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Naming Conventions/Intent for Use?

#2  Postby Homer_S » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Mettius wrote:I found this thread:http://www.ab40k.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1569 to be very helpful.

Following up on that, I see what appear to be 40K Edition references as the Option Id for various options in for example the general7Dat.dat file.
A few questions to help those of us trying to mod/leverage the AB40K files (aka not reinvent the wheel).

gn6_ChSwdU vs gn6_ChSwd
- The difference appears to be that gn6_ChSwd has an Eval script whereas gn6_ChSwd does not. Does the "U" appendix designate unequipped or some such?
gn6_* does the "6" stand for 6th Ed rules?
- What is the significance of this designator? Does it mean the last time this option was edited or introduced was with that Edition of 40K?
- If so, I assume there is a reason not just to have a gn_ChSwd option which just gets updated if the 40K rules change it in a subsequent edition. My WAG is that this is so the maintainers can quickly see what Ed a given option was last written/updated for, but it would be helpful to know the true intent.

Yes exactly. Some instances allow options with eval scripts and some do not. gn6_ is meant to tell you what file to go find the element in when it needs updating. It also helps when troubleshooting.

Homer
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3  Postby Mettius » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Ah, so gn6_* means the option was introduced in the 6th edition general data file.
Presumably now in general7Dat.dat (as I don't see an general6Dat.dat) in the current release 1.10.
Mettius
Conscript
Conscript

#4  Postby Homer_S » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:38 am

Mettius wrote:Ah, so gn6_* means the option was introduced in the 6th edition general data file.
Presumably now in general7Dat.dat (as I don't see an general6Dat.dat) in the current release 1.10.

The were likely unchanged so the prefix didn't change. Also, its more of a guideline than a rule.

Homer
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
Homer_S
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Datafile Programming Support